I can't believe that I have gone this long with out knowing about this little, single serve gem. Mug cake is a little cake (or maybe brownie) that you make with just a few ingredients, a coffee mug and a microwave. It takes 5 minutes. I've been making a low carb version so it's sugar free but it's not low fat or low calorie. I think last I counted it was about 450 calories. This and a cup of coffee are my breakfast lately. 2 mugs!
Depending on your ingredients, it could dairy free, egg free, not-sugar free/low carb, etc. I recommend substitute and tinker. That's how i came up with this version. It took many tries.
Keep in mind that my version might not be super delicious if you've been eating normal, sugary white flour cakes and foods. But if you are any sort of diet where you are limiting or avoiding sugar, flour, gluten, starch, etc... it's a treat. For all you lucky normal eaters
there are tons of different recipes and variations out there
TMB Mug Cake
- 2 TBSP almond or coconut flour
- 1 1/2 TBSP xylitol
- 1 TBSP ghiradelli cocoa powder
- 1 beaten egg
- 4 TBSP cream, reserve 1 Tlbs for topping
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- Splash vanilla extract
Microwave oil for 30-45 seconds in the mug to melt and warm up. Add xylitol & stir well to dissolve. Mix in the rest of the dry ingredients. Add 3 Tbsp egg, cream & blend well. Microwave 1-2 minutes.
Drizzle remaining TBSP of heavy whipping cream over the top and enjoy. The kids will think it's your coffee so won't bug you to share!
- Butter works well too. 1 TBSP would do the trick but I like to sneak in extra coconut oil.
- Microwave times very. I nuke mine for 1 minute
- Xylitol is a not so easy to find natural sweetener. I used a 10 drops of vanilla stevia before I found it but like Xylitol better. You can replace xylitol with any sweetener. I even used maple syrup (SF) and it was yummy.
- We always stocked our shelves with Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder but I switched to Ghiradelli particularly for this and it makes a difference. I've also heard that dark chocolate is better than milk chocolate baking powder in mug cakes.
- For Paleo or to make it dairy free mug cake, replace the heavy whipping cream with almond milk
- I prefer 1 TBSP of each coconut powder & almond flour. I don't seem to like it as much if I just use one or the other although they are still good.
- You could tinker with toppings like mixing cream cheese w/almond butter & a sweetener, actual whipped cream (I prefer the liquid drizzle because it reminds me of melted ice cream and cake) or even a butter cream topping.
- If I need a little more fat for the day, I'll top it with crushed macadamia nuts
- I haven't tried it but heard that if you leave out the egg, it's more like a brownie
- This is an HCG Phase 3 P3 friendly mug cake.
- I tinkered with almond flour during Atkins induction and it was a staller. But I've seen similar recipes leaving out the flours all together which would make it a better Atkins candidate.